So here we are, just over the halfway point of 2008. I've seen a lot of great shows, listened to a lot of great records, and already blogged about a ton of crap that no one is reading. In this post, I'll take a look at the top 5 full lengths, live shows, and EPs/7" of the year. Leave some comments with your lists, if you're reading this!
1. Paint it Black - New Lexicon - One of the most innovative hardcore punk records in the last few years from a band that keeps pushing the envelope.
2. Lemuria - Get Better - Female fronted indie pop that I wanted to hate, but just can't.
3. Blacklisted - Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God - Another Philly hardcore band raising the bar for everyone else.
4. Able Baker Fox - Voices - As close as I'll ever get to another Small Brown Bike record. Gruff indie rock that needs to start touring.
5. Hot Water Music - Till The Wheels Fall Off - Sure, I guess it's tacky to put a b-sides collection on this list, but whatever, it's Hot Water Music. One of the most important bands ever for me.
1. Paint it Black - Sailor Jerry's - Kids will be talkin about this one for a long time...
2. Hot Water Music / The Lawrence Arms - NJ - First time seeing Hot Water in years, and the boys in the Lawrence Arms always put a smile on my face. Plus, fun trip with great dudes and a total babe.
3. Lemuria / Crumbler / Fallen From the Sky - Deep Sleep - Three bands that don't sound at all alike, but all rip.
4. None More Black - Deep Sleep - Kinda like a show in a sauna, from a band finally getting the respect their last album deserved.
5. Paint it Black / Marked Men / Dustheads / Amateur Party - Church - This was a well rounded record release show for Paint it Black, with a ton of great bands. The only downside to the entire weekend was World Inferno.
1. Crumbler - Dirty Weeks - Short, fast, hilarious. Expect a review this week.
2. Title Fight - Kingston - The best Lifetime/Saves the Day/Fairweather inspired pop punk I've heard in years.
3. The Gaslight Anthem - Senor and the Queen - Better than either of their LPs, four songs with a wide range of styles, but all uniquely punk rock and roll.
4. The Steinways - Unoriginal Recipe - Six new ones from these pop punk kings that serves as a teaser for their new full length.
Things I'm Anticipating
Dillinger Four - Live shows, as well as The Civil War
Hot Water Music - two shows this weekend!
The Revival Tour
The Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound
Off With Their Heads - From the Bottom
Dead to Me - New LP
What's on your halfway list?